The Student News Site of Community College of Rhode Island

The Squire

The Squire

The Squire

A worthwhile change
A worthwhile change
February 29, 2024

A worthwhile change

A student’s shift in academic mentality

WARWICK, RI (February 29, 2024) — “I did everything but attend class, and that is what held me back,” said Izek Travis, a student at the Community College of Rhode Island, as he shared the cautionary tale of lessons he has learned in his first three semesters of college. 

Travis, a North Scituate resident, explained the many changes he has made to his approach on education.

During his previous semesters, Travis achieved good academic standing, but his lack of attendance would negatively impact his grades. This time around, he has decided that he is going to make a big change.

Travis’ recent successes within the classroom are directly due to fundamental shifts in his lifestyle. The economics major has begun to undertake a new approach to his classes. Rather than viewing school as a series of homework assignments he has to complete, he has shifted his mindset into making sure that he can absorb as much information as possible in person. So far in his new approach, Travis has said that he has grown to enjoy school much more, as he appreciates being able to participate in a live class environment.

His earlier struggles with college came from his lack of attendance, which hindered his grades substantially. Within his tenure as a student, he said that he took college with “a grain of salt”, as his learning was focused on completing his assignments, rather than learning from them. His new multi-faceted approach to learning has allowed for him to thrive not only as a student, but as a thinker.

“Looking at school this way has allowed me to do better in my classes,” said Travis.

His story of absenteeism, wasn’t of a lack of interest to participate in classes, it was of a prioritization of different areas within his life. Travis said he often would prioritize trips to friends and family over his academics. With his new mindset, his days of being absent from class are long over, and he seems rejuvenated about his education. School now holds a higher place on his totem pole of prioritization, and Travis urges others to take a more active approach in education.

Travis’ experiences within college can serve as a testament to how doing something as simple as actively engaging in class can fuel the fire to improve one’s mentality. The one idea Travis wanted people to take away from his words is that to maximize your academic potential, it is clear that actively attending and interacting with your class can make all the difference. 

The story of Travis’ rekindled love for education is summarized within his own words “School is only worth the time, if you make it worth your time.”